Friday, November 1, 2013

Waiting for the paint to dry.


Preston in action.
Day off at SpeakerSonic means getting some stuff done I've been meaning to do for a while. Today, I'm painting the control room interior. The paint choice was based on Preston Spurlock's most recent painting here in the Live Room. We did an art/studio time trade for the Kung Fu Crimewave record that is sitting, 95% finished and has been since March, in a dusty oblivion. Hint hint, wink wink, nudge nudge.

So while the first coat is drying I thought I would take you on a bit of a tour of some of the art that people comment about when they visit this place. While most of the pieces are officially paid for and owned by yours truly, others are on semi-permanent loan to the collection, and I'll whine and moan to keep them for as long as I can.

Other Preston paintings are spotted throughout the space as well. Some of my favorites are the Jared Loughner collage, the Dolphin and the Drinking Fetus. (My titles, not his.)

Preston's Dolphin
Preston's Drunken Fetus

Eric Wolfson's Lincoln
Eric Wolfson is a huge fan of our American Presidents. He has painted all of them in one form or another and has left with us here the Lincoln and the Carter. He has a whole series in this sunflower color scheme. Folks are particularly fond of the Lincoln.

Adam Green's Bird Zoom





Another eye catcher is Adam Green's deconstructed Big Bird called Bird Zoom, from his Houseface collection. I acquired this on a really fun day hanging out with Adam. He showed me around his home and his art studio, and I brought home a few pieces that I liked. Bird Zoom is on display across from Preston's piece in the Live Room.



Not many folks will get to see this piece as its in a private room. But I'm also particularly proud of Toby Goodshank's Street Scene painting. Here's a pic. I bought this before his show opened in Berlin. Once I saw it, I fell in love with it. He's fantastic, and I'm fortunate enough to have a few of his collages as well.
Toby's Street Scene

There's plenty more to take in if you look around. Some great Piwi drawings, a beautiful Cora Sprengal original, a collage by Inas Al-soqi and a few Chris Urban paintings given to me by Crazy and the Brains. Next time you come by for a session you can see them. Till then, click on them and enjoy them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment