Tuesday, November 12, 2013

One Way Or Another


Taste. When it comes to recording music, taste is everything. What you like, what the musicians like, what the producers like, what the artists friends like, what the artist wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend like. Anyone who listens to the music is going to have an opinion. "It sounds too big! It sounds too far away. It sounds great! It sounds boring. It sounds like its on the radio." It's easy to hear things if you listen for them. Whenever I work with an artist, the first thing I do is ask them, "What are you going for? What do You want it to sound like?" 

Finding that balance of what sounds good to you and the group, and what sounds good to other listeners is always difficult. I have no control over the song if I'm just there to record and mix it. I can offer ideas of what I think will make things more appealing to someone like me, but it may or may not appeal to the one being represented by the art. I'm always invested in the music I'm working on even if I'm just there to push the buttons. I put the mics in place. I dial in the EQ or compression. I'm the first and only person between the artist and the tape machine. 

Tyrone with bass player Kyle Bruse
Art is an idea. Art is a concept. Art is the execution of a concept or an idea. Art is hard? Art is simple. Art is subjective. Art is none of the above? Whatever you perceive your art to be, it's best to be able to express it in a form that is able to be understood by those you are working with. "I want it to sound very natural. I want it to sound anthemic. I want it to sound like the Beatles. I want it to sound like The Black Keys."

John Ginty on the Porta B3 with Vintage Leslie Cabinet
I'm currently working on several projects where my influences vary. On one particular project, I'm co-producer with an artist. Tyrone came to me with a concept and I'm helping to take his song ideas and make them full band representations of  those ideas. I've called in some friends to be a part of the project and he is also bringing people to the project. Each time you add a player, the variables, the vibe and the concept, changes. For instance, we're working with a big hitter named John Ginty as the B3 organ player. John has the #3 Blues album in the nation right now. He plays with The Dixie Chicks and The Allman Brothers regularly. He is a master of his instrument and a creative genius. He takes the songs and puts in his parts, simple at first, and then fully flushed out with his own creative juices. Taking the songs to a place inconceivable to both myself and Tyrone. Now, we have a choice. Go with the simple syrup that has bits and pieces of flare, or go with the whole spice rack. Its a tough decision. I'm there as a critical ear and can offer opinions, but the choice is Ty's. I'm an enabler. 

Another project I just finished is with Dan & Rachel. We, very quickly, recorded and mixed a song for their future tour of Italy. Dan came over for the final mix on Sunday and we sat back and both thought it sounded pretty full and good. Once it arrived home, Rachel wanted a few changes which I implemented post mix session, put it in the dropbox and then it was complete. A few days later, they might want a tweak or two. Thus is life. Everyone hears it, and mixed with their own emotions, experiences or expectations, it evolves until its just right. I am a vessel. "I am merely a guide." I am that which is in-between concept and execution.

The point. Everybody's a critic, myself included. The bottom line. If you do your best and work hard for the people who are putting their trust in you, all will be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment